Thursday, November 15, 2012

Settling In

Week two went a bit smoother than week one, and now that we are in the midst of week three I feel as if we are finally settling in (as much as one does with a newborn).

 Our days are slow and simple, and that is how I like them. Recently, you are sleeping anywhere from 3-6 hours at a time at night. You are usually awake when Levi leaves for work, so we get to tell him bye and then we take a little nap until a more "reasonable" hour. Six in the morning will never be a reasonable hour to me. Nine or ten sounds (and feels!) much better. After our nap, we get ready for the day, which usually consists of me quickly brushing my teeth and putting a little deodorant on and giving you a quick little bath and diaper change. Today I even got brave and trimmed your long, perfectly manicured (but sharp) nails that you have had since birth. Next is when we play dress up for approximately 20 minutes where I try to make all of the really cute clothes that your Gigi bought you from Gap fit you even though they are all still way too big. After we are ready for the day, you basically eat and sleep and stay awake for a little bit and repeat the whole cycle all over again.

You are a pro at raising your head and weight bearing on your tiny little elbows when you feel like it. You've seemed much more awake and alert this week, which has been really fun. I finally broke down and gave you a paci to soothe you at night when you just get fussy and restless for no reason apparent to this new mom. You are nursing pretty well except for when you take in a little too much at one time and do some coughing (which makes me sad). I spend my free time reading all kinds of articles on Kellymom.com, watching depressing daytime television, writing thank you notes, praying for your safety and well being, and trying to keep up with the everyday. The change of pace that has come with staying at home has been great but very different. I am not going and doing all day, but I am supposed to be available 24/7 nonetheless.

We went on some walks this week, which was good for both of us. You just doze off while I push your giant stroller up the hill on our circle. We've gone a mile each time, although at the rate I am consuming chocolate cake and cornbread that people have brought us, I'm sure my weight has remained the same despite the daily exercise...

Levi has constantly reminded me that I don't have to have a list of things that I've "done" all day to prove that I am valuable. I like to at least have one thing to report, but it is nice to hear that just keeping up with a newborn is very worthwhile. I know this, but it is truly a blessing to have a husband that views it equally as worthwhile. Now that basketball season is in full force, You and I are going to have a lot of nights alone together. I can't think of a more precious way to spend my evenings. :) I mean, really- that is ALOT of cute, y'all!




3 comments:

Addi and Phin's Mom said...

I'm so thankful that you're willing to share this. I tried to write when Addi was new, but found that I was in tears as often as not. Bei It's staggering how such a small person can take up such a large place in one's life, and one's heart.
Be gentle to yourself. I think of each of you often, and hope you're doing well! Love, love, love to you!

Sleepyhead Designs Studio said...

I have looooved reading some of your posts. What a precious time-I can almost cry thinking back to those special moments with each of my girls. The job you are doing is the most important thing in the world-enjoy every moment of it and "don't" try to have a "to-do list"-that is my only regret. Time passes way too quickly, and there will be plenty of to-do lists once she hits school age. You are so lucky to have Levi to help remind you of that. I remember the uncertainty and fear, and all I can say is well, it never really goes away, It just reinvents itself with each new season. I have to remind myself daily that God loves them more than I do, and he uses parenthood to bring us to our knees.Some day soon you will realize too what a precious gift it is to find a sweet baby sitter like you were to us :) I hope we can meet Ruby in person soon :)

becca said...

Just found your blog and am happy to read that you read Kellymom :) I spent lots of time there too. You are in good hands! But OH MY GOODNESS I read that Ruby is sleeping 5-7 hours??? That is awesome. That would have been long long stretches in my book! Abigail was one of those crazies who slept a ton right from the start, but it totally went downhill from there. Levi didn't sleep more than a few hours til he was like 20 months!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting