Monday, January 21, 2013

Three Months Old!

A few days after my 23 hour labor with Ruby my entire body broke out into a hive like rash for a week, my newborn was still jaundiced, my husband was back at work, I was 30ish pounds overweight, sitting and lifting my leg to walk up the 40 steps to our condo was painful, and I was definitely sleep deprived, my sister reminded me of the following: " In a long and simultaneously lightening fast year, you will look back and only half way remember all of this.  And now you know why." I still laugh that she said this to me. It was just so poignant and true! Now, after three months, we are 25% through this first "lightening fast" year, and I am learning to be content in each "stage". The newborn first month or so was definitely the most emotional and the biggest adjustment. The second month threw me a curve ball when the doctor told me my kid wasn't gaining weight. The third month, though, has been such a fun and less stressful time! I know Levi and I will have highs and lows through out the rest of our lives with children. It is almost like there is a piece of you disconnected from your body that is your child...a piece of you that will always cause you to be more vulnerable, feel things more deeply, bring you more joy, and cause you deeper emotions than ever before. I am okay with this, but it makes me all the more thankful for the "fun" months!


Ruby, this month you love to interact. You coo and "talk" all morning and evening with me and whoever else will sit there and stare at you long enough to get you engaged. You have tried to reach for your toys a little bit, roll over from your tummy to your back, and are great at controlling your head. You are finally gaining weight despite your cow's milk allergy and failure to thrive issues. We nurse and supplement all the live long day! You are always moving your long skinny fingers, sucking on  your hand, kicking your legs, and making your signature "snort" noise. Probably ten people just in the past week have commented that they love your thick hair and that it is looking strawberry blonde. Your dad was holding you the other night and it was undeniable that you are his child! You both really have the same eyes, forehead, head shape, and little ears that stick out. You have started to use your uncoordinated hand movements to touch your paci when it is falling out. If I was allowed to let you, you would sleep 12 hours every night. Right now I wake up after 6-8 to feed. You also take about 3-4 naps per day, usually for 1-2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. You are doing a great job at taking a bottle when it is time. You love your swing and looking at your self in the mirror. You also seem to actually enjoy your baths now, which is great. Now that I am off dairy, your little complexion is just flawless. Sorry for chugging 20-30 ounces of whole milk every day those first 10 weeks...

Your dad and I often sit around and marvel at the fact that you are ours and what joy you bring us even in the mundane of life. You are our precious light...our Ruby Clare, and we love you very much!

1 comments:

Addi and Phin's Mom said...

As always, thanks for posting all of this. I love to sit and read how you guys are doing, and all of the milestones and pictures. I wish we could be there to see you all, but please know you're in our thoughts and prayers. We have Ruby's picture on the fridge, and the kids love to talk about seeing "Baby Ruby".

What a great thing to figure out the milk allergy! Addi was on medication for the first year and a half of her little life, and we never did find out what the problem was. You're doing such a great job.

Take care of yourself, too. Love you all lots!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting